Sunday, June 10, 2018

Day 67: Diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis

I haven't blogged about this before, but one of the driving reasons for me to try helminthic therapy was a concern that I was developing symptoms of psoriatic arthritis (PA), which about 20% of people with active plaque psorasis get.

About four months ago while I was traveling I noticed my second toe on my left foot swelled up, whats known as sausage toe or dactylitis. I've also noticed little "pits" on my finger nails for a couple years that come and go and I thought could be an indication of nutrient deficiency. However, the combination of both are clear indications of PA, and on Friday I went to see a rheumatologist for the first time who confirmed the diagnosis. 

This diagnosis weighs heavy on my heart since PA is much more seriously impacting than just plaque psorasis, which has had its own challenges. It also means my approach to topical ointments can't help PA and I need a systemic medicine that can help treat this so I do not have long term joint damage occur.

I told my rheumatologist about my on-going helminthic therapy treatment. She had never heard of anyone doing this before, but seemed intrigued. I brought in the Cheng paper  and wrote the name of the helminthic therapy wiki and my blog on the top.

My rheumatologist recommended considering methotextrate or Otezla - neither of which I see listed on the helminthic care list of drugs that don't interfere with NA. I'm now in the process of researching both of these drugs and weighing the benefits and side effects of each one while determining when to try them now that is just past 2 months of inoculating with NA.






No comments:

Post a Comment